Built Heritage Conservation
Lake of Bays is blessed with many older cottages, buildings and churches. In addition to their historical significance and role as a window on our past, these structures add character and warmth to our area.
The Lake of Bays Heritage Foundation works actively to preserve our valuable built heritage for future generations. Our activities include:
- Award heritage plaques for significant buildings around the Township.
- Developing an inventory of older buildings of historical value, and transferring our built heritage records to a computer database. We are collaborating with the Township to maintain this inventory.
- Initiating the restoration of the historic Bigwin ferry through rescuing the boat and the creation and incorporation of the Lake of Bays Marine Museum & Navigation Society.
- Facilitating and supporting community initiatives to restore heritage buildings such Holy Trinity Church in Newholm, the Baysville Schoolhouse and the old church used by the Lake of Bays Sailing Club.
- Successfully promoting the Township adopt rules for tax reductions for owners who preserve older buildings.